Streamlines February 2020
Our first article for the year is a summary of the talk Rachel Alexander from Brisbane City Council’s Invasive Species Management Team gave at the 2019 Annual General Meeting on the occurrence and management of feral animals, particularly in our area.
Margaret O’Grady continues her series of fungi photographed in Anstead Bushland Reserve with three of the ‘lesser lights’. Hopefully, with wetter conditions, Margaret will find many more subjects and rediscover some of the fungi that appeared to have been ’lost’ from the Reserve.
Our Wildlife Officer, Irene Darlington, gives us an insight into the number of people involved in one wildlife carer’s life and opens our eyes to the range of possible ways of supporting her efforts.
Fire Ants have reared their ugly heads again with one of our committee members finding nests on her Anstead property. Make sure you check your own property for the presence of these dangerous pests.
Streamlines is published quarterly in the months of February, May, August and November. Past issues dating back to February 2014 are all available for download.
Other topics of interest
- The district: a short history
- Feral animals
- Our Place in the Country: Managing your acreage property in West Brisbane (.pdf, 8.8 MB)
The following is a list of published works which may be helpful:
- ‘The creek in our backyard: a practical guide for habitat restoration’ by Robert Whyte 2nd ed. Published by Save Our Waterways Now, 2013
- ‘A green and pleasant land’ by Ian Cameron. Published by Ian Cameron 1999
- ‘Mangroves to mountains’ by Glenn Leiper and others. Rev ed. published by Society for Growing Australian PLants(Logan River branch), 2008
- ‘The National Trust bush regenerator’s handbook’. 2nd ed. Published by the National Trust of Australia, 1999
- ‘Nest boxes for wildlife; a practical guide’ by Alan and Stacey Franks. Published by Bloomings books, 2006
- ‘Our place in the country: managing your acreage property in West Brisbane’ Written and published by the Moggill Creek Catchment Management Group and the Pullen Pullen Cathments Group, 2009
- ‘Weed pocket guide: South-East Queensland’. 3rd ed Published by the State of Queensland, 2002
- ‘Weeds of Southern Queensland’ by Weed Society of Queensland inc, 3rd ed. Published by the Queensland Government, 2011
- ‘Wildlife of Greater Brisbane’. Published by the Queensland Museum, 2007
- ‘Wild plants of Greater Brisbane’. Published by the Queensland Museum, 2003